Sunday, March 2, 2008

"Left For Dead, My Journey Home From Everest" by Beck Weathers

You might wonder why I read another book about climbing Everest. It isn't so much about climbing. I'm interested in the people and the sacrifices they make in order to reach such a goal. In order to achieve mountaineering's highest achievement Beck Weathers had to sacrifice his relationship with wife and two children.

I've had a particular interest in him ever since I saw the interview he gave, which was included with the IMAX "Everest" DVD. He poignantly states that when you're dying you don't think about your job or the new home you would like to have. What you think about are those you hold close to you.

Left For Dead is equally, if not more candid and revealing about the obsessive, driven life of Beck Weathers. Being awakened from the dead must have been clarifying, though for him, not entirely spiritual. However, he doesn't discount spirituality and finds good in many religions. Beck makes an interesting statement concerning religion.

"I think what truly matters in faith is not what you profess, but whether you live your faith's tenets. Ever the practical individual, if at the end of my days I discover there is no God, only the Void, I will feel I have lost nothing. Rather, by trying to be a better person--even if I fail--I will have gained."

1 comment:

Tobi said...

Great review Dad. I do have one question though. Does Beck still climb? For his sake I hope he doesn't.