Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Memory of President Hinckley



November 1998

I was playing in the Mormon Symphony and we were preparing for the upcoming Christmas concert. Suddenly President Hinckley walked in. He told us of the importance of music in the Church and how it will play an even bigger role in the future. To prepare for that future we were to be reorganized under the Tabernacle Choir.

After his short speech he was invited to conduct the symphony. We started to play Handel's Messiah. It's a good thing we knew the music well enough to ignore the conductor as he was waving the baton aimlessly in the air. After the final note was played he put the baton down and said, "Whew! I'm glad that's over! I didn't know that song was that long. I was running out of things to do!"

1 comment:

Tobi said...

HA HA HA! That's a good memory to have of President Hinckley. Thanks for putting it on your blog!