Monday, January 21, 2008

Christmas came early in 2007

December 2007 is a time to remember. As an early Christmas present Peggy sent me to Florida so I could could finish my pilot's license. It was an incredible adventure; 35 flights in 7 days. My instructor, Jan Driessen, was by far the best instructor for me. He gave me confidence and helped me to look beyond my self-imposed limitations. I also have to give credit to Knut Kjenslie (the owner of Seminole-Lake Gliderport and my flight examiner) and Jim Gager (another instructor) for giving me an experience that I will never forget. I also have to give credit to Wiley, the tow pilot. He always knew where to take me to find a thermal. Watching Wiley land the tow plane was also a treat. More often that not he would slip to a landing and made it look all so easy.

Knut shook my hand after and congratulated me after my check ride. I was excited to be done but the reality of the moment didn't sink in. I told my instructor, Jan, that I had passed. He wasn't content with a handshake but gave me a big hug and said, "I knew you could do it!" The next day I was on my way to the Orlando airport when it struck me, "I'm a pilot...I really am a pilot!" More than once on the flight home I pulled out my logbook and looked at my new license just to make sure it was real and that Knut didn't use some magic disappearing ink.

The last 6 weeks have dragged by as I wait for winter to end... HA! It has just barely started. The warm Florida weather spoiled me and I long to pull my plane out of its trailer to take her on the maiden flight with me as her pilot.

No comments: